Pages

Sunday, October 06, 2013

Weaning....

So we are dropping the babies night time bottle this week. We have been in the process over the past month of slowly reducing the amount that they get at night and now we've finally dropped it completely. Tonight was technically night #2, however, last night was different because they fell asleep in the car and then were transferred to bed so I'm not really counting that one. :)

Normally at night we would wind them down with a wagon ride around the property, then have a bath and get PJs on followed by bottle and books and then right to bed. So tonight because we had night church we went to the service where the kids played in the cry room and then they had their baths and I let them have their sippy cups with just a tiny bit of water while we were reading books (they weren't too interested in the sippy which is fine with me.) After a few books we put them down. Anders was out like a light as usual; no problems there. Joline, on the other hand, was not too happy. She cried and cried. We went back up once to soothe and reassure her that we are still here and we love you but bed is where you need to be now. We have done this since day one by picking them up rocking them a few minutes (not to sleep-just until they calm down) and then laying them back in bed. Tonight she fought the rocking and was downright mad! Yikes. She is my type A girl and she knows that something is different about her night time routine. We try very hard not to do things exactly the same every night because we do not want them to get 'stuck' on doing things a certain way. I do believe that a healthy dose of change is good for kiddos so that they stay flexible. However, this is hard. I hated that she cried for a while and that it was so difficult for her. It reminded me of when we cut night time feedings back when they were only 2 months old. Then it took about 3 nights to break them of the routine of the feeding so we will see how long it takes for this to pass. I know that she will get there like all kids do and I know that she does not need the bottle because, as I said before, we have been weaning them down slowly over the last month and they have been down to practically nothing for a few days now and have had no trouble sleeping.

She is sleeping sound now and I am thankful. I love to see my little babes all cozy in their beds!

God Bless, Sleep tight
-CW

No comments:

Post a Comment